How to Participate
INVITATION TO REVIEW The 2nd drafts of the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment chapters of the Condition and Trends, Scenarios, and Responses Assessments are now available for review. The MA review process is open to review by any interested individual. Review comments should be submitted to review@MAreview.org by August 23, 2004 | More information about the review process
The Millennium Ecosystem Assessment welcomes the input and involvement of individuals and organizations. To that end, the MA Secretariat has developed several means to promote participation and enhance access to the MA. Please read more about these opportunities below. For more information on any of these opportunities, please follow the links below or contact the MA Secretariat.
“Everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits. Everyone has the right to (…) seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers” - Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Articles 27 and 19
“Environmental issues are best handled with the participation of all concerned citizens, at the relevant level. At the national level, each individual shall have appropriate access to information concerning the environment that is held by public authorities (…) and the opportunity to participate in decision-making processes. States shall facilitate and encourage public awareness and participation by making information widely available. (…)” - The Rio Declaration on Environment and Development, Principle 10).
The MA takes to heart these two principles. These are high standards that can only be met through the active participation of users in the process. The MA will be as open and relevant as stakeholders make it.
- Calls for nominations. The MA continues to invite institutions and individuals to nominate candidate experts to become reviewers of the Assessment reports.
- Calls for expert review comments. The MA posts in its website the final drafts of its reports and welcomes expert review comments. The Assessment Reports are expected to be available for review beginning in December 2003 or early 2004.
- User Forums. The MA has created opportunities for dialogue at the regional, national and local levels with the multiple stakeholders identified as beneficiaries of the assessment.
- Affiliated Scientific Organizations and Academies of Sciences. More than 25 Academies of Sciences and scientific organizations from all over the world have joined the MA as Affiliated Scientific Organizations. This mechanism was established to develop a closer interaction between the MA and the scientific community all over the world.
- Subglobal Assessments. The MA is a ‘multiscale’ initiative involving assessments at the global, regional, basin, national and local scales. Please note that the MA is no longer able to accommodate additional “official” assessments, but will continue to make available the methodologies and tools through an “affiliated assessment” category which is currently being developed.
- Access to information. The MA is an open, transparent process. As it develops, the MA will provide broad access to the information it generates and mobilizes. A Data and Information Support System to organize and facilitate access to this information is under construction. Visit this website regularly for new developments or contact us with any requests.
- Newsletter. Sign up for email updates (see sidebar). The MA will not divulge or share contact information with any third party.
- Other. Your comments and suggestions about the MA process are always welcome. You can reach the Secretariat via email@example.com, and you may submit comments on-line via our newsletter subscription service described above.